Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Is technology cold? I don't mean chilly.

So...I've been thinking about a comment that I read this week about how technology is impersonal. I really do not know what I think. With computers between us do we miss out on that human contact or in the age of technology is the concept of human contact going to change? Is there a generational gap? Do people who have grown up in this technological age feel more comfortable when they are "connected", do they feel like they are having human contact when they are interacting with their friends online? I do not have any answers...I do not even have a hypothesis. This concept of human contact being beyond physical space is just very interesting to me.

What would need to occur in order to force quick, sweeping change in education? We move at a snails pace when enacting change, but is this technological revolution different? Is it a true revolution? Will our education system have to change in order to survive? I imagine if countries started surpassing us (like they are) and education becomes much more accessible online....people would begin to look elsewhere for their education. Will a demand for something more effective, and the availability of more global options fuel an educational transformation?

1 comment:

ChristineGreenhow said...

Hi Mel,
You may want to check out the Pew Internet and American life studies -- just google it -- based on your interests. They've done alot of work trying to track how society is changing or not with the Internet. The "Strength of Internet Ties" is a report on their site might find interesting. It talks about what people use their online versus offline networks for but I think this will continue to change as people figure out how to leverage the two, online and offline, to feel more linked in to what is going on around them. Perhaps even the question, are you lonely? takes on new meaning now that the Internet is here.