Thursday, November 29, 2007

Assessment...the unanswered question.

A major barrier to creating a constructivist classroom built around technology is assessment.

In the age of standardized testing and emphasis on summative assessments I question how this model can be achieved. In all of the theory and ideas about the use of technology in the classroom there are few suggestions to how we will assess student learning. The measurement needs to be valid and reliable and as of yet, I have not seen a blue print to what this "could" look like. For me this is a major downfall. If I implement these great ideas, I am going to be asked how I know they are learning? Where is the data? I have no real answer. I could show student projects and what they have constructed, but I can just hear the response. How are all these different products reliable and valid? The truth is I am not sure. I am anxious to learn about how I can create a technology laden constructivist classroom, while successfully assessing student learning.

No comments: